A Review of What You Can Expect When You Use Different Resume Software Programs
As you probably have already discovered, there are a number of resume software programs available on the Internet, as well as in stores that sell computer software, and also resume shareware (copyrighted software available for downloading on a free, limited trial basis). All these software programs are designed to assist individuals on how to write a good resume. Many of them come with different resume layouts, as well as a variety of resume writing tips and helpful hints, which can help you create a resume that is concise and brilliant, making your chances of landing the first job interview that much higher.
Besides resume software programs, there are also a number of special resume guidebooks that you can purchase in stores, online or as e-books. If you have never thought about purchasing one of these programs, it might be in your best interest; especially if you are fresh out of resume ideas. In fact, you would be surprised to learn that many of these resumes programs will indeed improve your writing skills, by showing you that there is more than one way to write a resume.
Resume books or software programs are excellent for anyone, regardless of their age, or work experience. However, they are exceptionally wonderful if you are:
· Looking for your first job
· Are in your 40’s or older
· Your work history is filled with a number of time gaps
· You have worked a variety of non-related jobs
· You want to change careers, and the work experience you have does not apply to the job you want.
The resume software programs will assist you on strengthening your words to place emphasis on your qualifications and expertise. Most provide you with a number of different sample resume styles and layouts that are bound to impress both you and an employer. You will learn how to create a resume that is professional, concise and just what the job industry is looking for.
Tools You Are likely to Find in Resume Software Programs
Naturally, there are a number of resume software programs on the market, each of them offering both similar and special features. The program or shareware that you choose with depend entirely on your personal preferences, needs, and of course, the size of your wallet.
Some of the common resume software program features you may discover include:
· A step-by-step automated resume creation
· Approximately 25 different resume styles
· Word Processor complete with a spell-checking, thesaurus and print preview
· Networking contact, appointment management and job-searching
· Sample resumes
· Conversion to HTML for web resumes
· Over 1000 different sample resume phrases, paragraphs and action words
· Sample letters (including thank you and cover letters)
· Internet, phone and email tech support, along with free bug-fix update
Some of the special features you may encounter that vary between resume software programs include:
· Job interview simulations that are equipped with visual animation and audio
· Built-in address book (This special feature allows the user to record dates, names and phone numbers, as well as notes of company backgrounds, which helps to keep them organized)
· Built-in modem tool (This allows the user the convenience of faxing his or her resume directly from their computer screen)
· Database containing thousands of employers
· Thousands of templates to plug your resume into
Since special features vary between programs, the more special features there are included, usually the more money it is likely to cost. You will want to take into account if these special features are something you need, or if they are simply a marketing tool that would be nice to have access to, but really is not the essential element you require for writing a professional resume.
What to Watch Out For When Considering Resume Software Programs
Like everything that is made to sell, you always have to be on the lookout for scams. As the famous saying goes – “If something looks too good to be true, it probably is”. This being the case, you will want to read at least 2 or 3 reviews on the specific resume software program product you decide to purchase. It is also a good idea that you check out the particular resume software company’s webpage and read about their policies. This will give you a better understanding of what they are all about, and will allow you to properly judge their credibility.
Of course, no program is perfect, and there are bound to be a few glitches here and there. If you are curious as to what problems may occur with your new resume program, some common hiccups that have been discovered include:
· Very limited FAQ’s (Frequently Asked Questions) on the company’s webpage.
· Only web-based support, which means that you can only email a customer representative if you are having problems with your program, as no phone number is provided or any other means of direct communication.
· May not include local job banks, employers or newspapers in your area, and instead only give you a general list.
You will also want to be mindful of misleading information that is placed on sales pages to simply help market the book. The most famous misleading statement made by resume programs is that they “Guarantee” you’ll get a job. Don’t fall for this sort of statement. After all, how can they possibly guarantee you a job unless they are planning on hiring you themselves as a bonus for purchasing their program?
Other negative comments that have been expressed about resume software programs, is that some critics believe that the software removes from the user his or her independent and diverse thinking. Contrary to these opinions, most users state that a resume software program makes them feel competent and productive, and gives them the confidence and skill then need to write a professional resume.
In the end, it is your decision whether a resume software program, shareware, or book is what you require to give your resume that extra boost it needs to become that much more effective. Just remember, that when you go to purchase any one of these items, that their primary function is to help you construct an efficient, professional resume, which should help improve your chances of making the first job interview. Nevertheless, it is up to you to obtain a job, because even if your new and improved resume, which was created through a software program, has landed you an interview - only you can pass the next steps to make the job yours.
About the Author:
Julie Campbell, owner of JBC Online E-Publishing writing services (www.jbconlineepublishing.com) is an experienced, professional writer, editor, and translator (English/French) who provides fast, quality information about different resume writing styles, as well as resume cover letters, and resume software to assist in editing those already written for polish and flair.
For more information about other services and products choose from one of the following links:
home | Resume Writing | Resume Services |Resume Posting | Resume Software |Resume Cover Letters